Africa Asia Europe North America South America Oceania
You are here: Home > Europe > Montenegro

Montenegro

Defense

Since Montenegro became independent on June 3, 2006, a defense is under construction. To see related acronyms about this country, please check ABBREVIATIONFINDER where you can see that MNE stands for Montenegro. It consists (2008) of 5,800 men, of which an army of 2,500 men will have about 60% of the strength of a comprehensive combat battalion group. The remaining 40% is intended to be included in peacekeeping tasks abroad. The Navy, 3,300 men, disposes of 6 submarines, 2 frigates, 6 patrol boats, 11 amphibious units and 1 naval infantry battalion. The Air Force, which is currently part of the army, disposes of about twenty older helicopters. Semi-military forces amount to 10,000 men. The defense equipment is older and will be reduced and modernized.

Military of Montenegro

When the defense is operational, defense costs are estimated to amount to about 1.5% of GDP. Montenegro has some observers in the UN peacekeeping force in Liberia (UNMIL).

Other Countries in Europe

Militarynous Copyright 2000 - 2020 All Rights Reserved